Monday, January 7, 2008

The Question: What Causes Change?

I asked my dad what causes change, and he said simply, lack of inertia. I was confused, but he said change requires motion, and inertia is the lack of change in motion or just change itself. I dont want that to be my full essay, so I'll continue. I got some ideas from Kendall, Kyle, Luke, and Dominique, which stood out as separate ideas.

Change occurs because of our surroundings. When a tree sways, it is caused by a breeze. When my heart beats, it's caused by a mini electric shock sent out to the muscles of the heart in synchronization. There are also two main types of change. Physical changes occur when something comes in contact with another, like a hockey stick snapping a puck into the net with a snapshot. Chemical change occurs when the actual identity of the substance is changed, like when bread is cooked, heat is applied, which causes the identity of the ingredients in the bread to change. There are other changes, like the ones explained at the beginning of this paragraph, which actually are, when it comes down to it, physical and chemical changes. Also, time is incorporated into the cause of change. You need time for things to actually change. Although, maybe time isn't actually the cause of change. But if time and surroundings are combined, then you get change. So, in essence, surroundings and time together cause change.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

troy i really like your ideas. what if time is change? im not sure but in my opinion wouldnt what causes change be a really broad topic or could you narrow it down to just one or two things like you said?

amanda said...

I really liked your blog. It makes sense that time and surroundings have a lot to do with causing change, and without either one of them change cannot happen. But i am not convinced that they actually cause the change. There has to be more to it.

Anonymous said...

I like the fact that you used physical and chemical changes in your post. I stuck to a broader view of change, but those types of change also make sense to me. I am a little confused about the whole "inertia" part though...

BVoight said...

Is it possible that TroyBoy has identified a flaw in the question? A lot of you on your various blogs have indicated the difficulty in responding to this question becuase of its broad nature. Is it possible that they are different types of change, and each type has its own cause? Or, even though there might be different types, they all can be explained in a general way?

Luke VanGeest said...

Alright I see with what your saying that Time doesn't exactly cause change but it is an important factor. Dude like Tor said in his "Change is inevitable."

Ender said...

Well, Amanda, I do think there is probably more to it, but can't nail it down. Do you know, though?

Ender said...

Oh and luk3, I agree with what tor said.

bonqueesha said...

I like how you group the changes into two groups: physical and chemical

but im confused on what you mean by time. not all changes require time. some are instant. for example in yunus's post he uses three examples the first two require no time(mixing colors/liquids). their practicly instant. hes second example about behavior would require time. but the time isnt whats causing the change.